my vitals are twitter,vice & rcrdlbl. if i dont check them every hour i think something bad might happen, like ill be a step behind.

Tuesday 22 December 2009

09Music2010music+mywelcomereturn

hello, did you miss me? i hate neglecting this thing, but im just to lazy and incompetent at stringing a decent sentence together at times that it hardly seems worth it, but im wrong. I thought id use this opportunity to look back on the greatest musical accomplishments of the past year& the music that provided the sound track to my 2009, aswell my current listens/one's to watch for 2010.

What 2009 done well for your ears. (No particularly order really, apart from the top one)

Passion Pit - Manners
There'd probably be a huge gap left in my listening patterns from the last year if this album wasn't created. A credit to electro with soul, Manners is a extremely well crafted piece of work with every aspect well thought out.

Boys Noize - Power
I love Me some dark heavy beats put over ridiculously unmusical synthetic sounds. It's the first choice for my ears, but ive not had alot to properly indulge in since
† and Oi! (BN's Debut). So when this sneaked up on spotify's 'Hey you might like this' i was thanking the gods. Ive literally played it religiously since its release, most notably 'Jeffer'.

Danananakroyd - Hey Everyone!
I'd been waiting for a album from these guys for fucking ages and then when they released Black Wax as a single i was like meh. The album eventually came and i forgave them for that terrible choice in single and thanked them for pink sabbath.

Grizzly bear - Veckatimest
Now these guys had been totally of the radar for me (because of my arrogance towards anything NOT electronic, silly i know) & then JoeCouper talked some sense into me and pushed me in there direction. To be quite honest as soon as i saw there name they were in my good books. How could any act with the word 'Bear' in there title not produce good music. Don't force feed yourself 2007's 'Friend' like i did. It'll take a while to grow on you. Skip ahead to Veckatimest and you wont need much convincing of there greatness. Thanks Joe!

Grammatics
- Grammatics
Another fairly new discovery for me. I think they came to my attention through Pulled Apart. Good job they did, ive been looking for a band with an album to takeover the foals 'antidotes'.


Slow Club - Yeah So
Pretty little songs, by pretty little people. I love the spontaneous flow of these songs. Reminds me of mouldy peaches with a little bit of structure. Diverse acoustic musicality is always a winner.


Metronomy - Pip Paine (Pay the £500 you owe)
Now if you didnt like 'Nights Out; then we probably haven't been friends since early 2008. The slightly less amazing follow up will now mean ill start making an effort with you& maybe admit there not the best thing since sliced bread. Dont get me wrong its good, otherwise i wouldn't be writing about it and it defiantly not because its slim picking out there.HA


Ive had to leave you with the new video for 'Thing for me'. Thats all i could find at first glance. Interesting aey?
Simian Mobile Disco - Temporary Pleasure
There i go indulging my electro urges again. Ive been slightly spoilt this year what with this and 'Power'.


Ofcourse there maybe E.P's, singles and other artists out there more notable than these. But ive stuck with my favourite albums. These groups of tracks were produced together and there for should be listened to together for the majority. Remember that.


2010 promises to grace us with this.

Delphic
If you've got me on twitter you would have noticed ive been re-tweeting pretty much everyone of there god forsaken tweets. Probably the soundtrack to my 2009summer despite there only being two songs available up until recently. Albums out 11th Jan. This the most highly anticipated one in my books. Im even considering buying it.

Ellie Goulding
Ive pretty much burnt out the 4 tracks i have of hers now so if an album doesn't come out soon im just going to end up looking at her rather than listening to her. That never gets old. 'Under the sheets' is amazing ive gotta give it to her and starsmith. There wont be a voice that unique and beautiful for years to come so treasure it while its here.

Hot Chip
How can you not love these guys. i always think of them as a talented Goldy looking chain. just because there a another posse of white guys. New album, follow up to made in the dark feb 2010.

Bear Hands
The Golden E.P reminds me of Autumn. make it remind you of 2010. you wont regret it.

Two door cinema club
Now i first heard these guys on a Kitsune compilations back in my days at a sales assistant at UO and didn't bat an eyelid. Now that they released 'I Can Talk' there all i want to listen to! albums out early 2010 . defiantly going to be a big one. BBC introducing and 'Sound of' have already clocked on. Bless em'

Pulled apart by horses
Probably my favourite act to come through the SU this year.Pretty much everything you could want in a live act, id like to think this is there year. After touring with Biffy Cyrlo and playing reading two years in a row i cant see them staying at this level for much longer. Im told we can expect a album from these guys next year. By all means check them out online, but i highly suggest you see them live. Then your know what there all about.





there we go there my ones to watch and 2009 favourites. Criticism and opinions are welcomed. Merry Christmas you dirty scoundrels x x


1 comment:

  1. Grizzly Bear and Dananananakroid kick ass! Good choices. You linked me wrong by the way, that link doesn't work:P
    We well need to go see Hot Chip in feb, should be awesome! its on a friday as well so we should definately be free.

    ReplyDelete